If you live in the Plano, Texas, area, you know that the summers can be hot and muggy. But, you also probably know that there are many great summer activities in Plano, Texas, that can help you stay busy all summer long. Plano has a bit of something for everyone, from outdoor activities to indoor activities that allow you to cool off and escape the heat.
Best outdoor summer activities in Plano, TX.
If you are looking to get outside and soak up some sun this summer, then Plano, TX, has plenty to offer. Since we were all cooped up last summer due to the lingering pandemic, the summer of 2021 will be one where we maximize our time out and about and rekindle relationships with family members and friends.
If you are ready to get outside and have a fabulous summer, then be sure to check out some of our top recommendations.
- Everything’s bigger in Texas—even the swimming pools! If you haven’t done so in the past, make this summer the one where you swim across Texas. Okay, so maybe not literally. But, the Texas Pool is a national landmark and is even listed on the national register of historic places. Shaped like the state of Texas, this giant saltwater pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Enjoy live music and a bite to eat at Legacy Hall. Hire a babysitter for a date night out or check out some family-friendly activities. From storyteller visits to lunch with princesses, Legacy Hall will be sure to please.
- Get your walk on the boardwalk. The Boardwalk at Granite Park is great for foodies and families looking for a tasty bite to eat. Connecting the office buildings of Granite Park with hotels, shops, and a variety of dining options, families can get out for an afternoon or evening of family fun while enjoying the waterfront view.
Best indoor activities in Plano, TX.
With an average summertime temperature in the 90s, let’s face it, Plano can get downright hot. If you are a parent with a young child, then you know how important it is to balance time outside with time indoors. Too much sun and too much heat can be dangerous for kids (and adults too), especially if you’re not wearing sunscreen or drinking enough water. For this reason, it is crucial to seek out some fabulous indoor activities.
Check out our 3 favorite, fabulous indoor summer activities in Plano, TX.
- Check out the Crayola Experience located at The Shops at Willow Bend. With an activity studio, adventure lab, character meet and greets, and more, you can easily enjoy a colorful afternoon with your child. Be sure to check the website for current hours and any safety protocols before purchasing tickets.
- Learn about choo-choo trains at the Interurban Railway Museum. This free museum is located in Haggard Park. Learn about the area’s regional history and enjoy a tour of Railway Post Office Car #360. On Fridays, kids will enjoy storytime hosted by professional storytellers Genie Hammel and Melody Perez. Be sure to call in advance for hours and information on special activities.
- Make a trip to the Play Street Museum. Though reservations are required, and there is an admission fee for children aged one through eight, you and your child will enjoy the Adirondack-inspired village and campsite. Feel like you are at a park without the heat of the sun and intense temperatures outside.
The best free summer activities in Plano, TX.
Participating in activities all summer long can get expensive fast, but there is no reason to break the bank. Plano offers plenty of free summer activities, too, and connecting with the outdoors is one of them. Oak Point Park and Nature Preserve have over 3.5 miles of concrete trails, perfect for family bike rides. If hiking is more your thing, there is no need to worry, as there are 5 miles of soft trails too.
Or, try Arbor Hills Nature Preserve which boasts a 2-mile walking trail with calming views of the forest and nearby prairie. Or, check out one of the bike trails if a family bike ride is in order. If your family has a furry friend of the canine variety, why not check out Jack Carter dog park or Windhaven Meadows Dog Park and let Fido roam free for a while?
Tell us about your summer activities in Plano, TX, at your next dental visit.
Dr. Jeff loves hearing about your favorite summer activities. If your child is due for their next dental cleaning, don’t delay in scheduling an appointment. Summer activities are fun and fabulous, but they are even better when we enjoy them cavity-free!